Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Alone

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Surfing_alone.jpg



ALONE!  This week I would like everyone to think about "alone."  What does it mean to be alone? How do you feel when you are alone?  Is 'alone' the same as 'lonely'?  What do you like to do when you are alone? Reflect on an alone-time you have had in the past.

Do you enjoy it when you FINALLY are alone? Do you ever feel alone in a crowd of people? When you think about it, there is a lot of popular music of the present and past that has the theme of being alone somehow woven into the lyrics.  So another approach might be to write your own 'alone' song.

My favorite poem on the subject is "Alone" by Maya Angelou.  You can find the entire poem on PoemHunter here, and I hope you will take a look at the entire poem, but I will share the first two stanzas.  (The second stanza below repeats three times in the poem, accentuating the poem's message.)

Alone

Lying, thinking
Last night
How to find my soul a home
Where water is not thirsty
And bread loaf is not stone
I came up with one thing
And I don't believe I'm wrong
That nobody,
But nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone.

    ---Maya Angelou

Rainer Maria Rilke wrote a poem called  "I am Much Too Alone in This World, yet Not Alone."   The entire poem can be found here at Poets.org, but these are a few lines.

I am Much Too Alone in This World, yet Not Alone

I am much too alone in this world, yet not alone 
    enough
to truly consecrate the hour.

     ---Rainer Maria Rilke

Edgar Allan Poe has also written an interesting poem called "Alone."  It can be found here at the Poetry Foundation site.

I hope that my words above have given you some inspiration, and I hope that during the course of the week you will share your own newly-written poem.  Please link your poem below,  be sure to link back to Poetry Jam, and also come back during the week to make visits to others in our community.  Enjoy.

21 comments:

  1. intriguing prompt...alone can go either way....a good thing...or bad...
    will be interesting to see how everyone plays this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing where this prompt takes each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya Angelou's poem is beautiful. This is a great prompt and it will be most interesting to see what other poets write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great prompt Mary....scribbled a few lines and shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. such an amazing prompt Mary!! could go on writing ,... thanx a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice one, i've read some really interesting takes

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally feeling back in sync here after my week away visiting relatives. I have enjoyed all the different directions you all have taken with alone. Wonderful prompt Mary. I am trying to come up with something creative for my next prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice prompt! The first thought that strikes by looking at the word,is the sad one. But just tried to cover most aspects of being alone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you covered many aspects. "Alone" does have many sides.

      Delete
  9. Great prompt Mary, just caught up, last night was my middle son's prom night, so great excitement in the family. Best wishes to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, Alan! Hope he enjoyed.

      Delete
  10. Great prompt! I've read some wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. Yes, there HAVE been many fine poems this week so far. Yours among them. Smiles.

      Delete
  11. Loved the prompt! Will be reading other poets' works a little later today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann. I have commented on your poem, and I hope you WILL comment on other poets' works as you mentioned.

      Delete
  12. So many different takes on this prompt. Thank you all for posting and reading other poems written for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you, Arathi. I enjoyed your poem.

      Delete
  14. There are so many possibilities for this prompt. Thanks for the challenge and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

After you post your poem and comment, please take the time to visit poems of other poets! People will add poems throughout the week, so check back every couple days to catch what is new.